“We did a good service to Konya’s culture”

Research author Salih Sedat Ersöz, who described his life and memories on his 66th birthday in the Konya Intellectuals’ Hearth, said that while teaching, he was stoned to death in the schoolyard in Diyarbakir and that they rendered useful services to Konya’s culture.

Salih Sedat Ersöz, one of Konya’s former provincial culture directors, who spoke about his life and memories at the 66th anniversary of the Seljuk Tuesday Talks of the Konya Intellectuals Association, said: “We have carried out activities that are beneficial to the culture of Konya .”

Researcher-writer Salih Sedat Ersöz, who also works as the head of the Culture Department in Konya Municipality, said: “When I was a town in Konya on August 6, 1956, two died in Akören district, formerly known as Akviran. Four of them were born the seventh son of the family after six girls.I came.My father is Veyis Ersöz and my mother is Emine Dudu Ersöz.I started primary school in Akviran.Since childhood they dressed me the most beautiful dresses, aprons and shoes. When I arrived at the door of the classroom on the first day of school; I insisted that I should not enter this childhood. At the same school, my father and another teacher dragged me into the classroom. In the first lesson was bowing my head in resentment. During recess, I ran to my aunt’s house. They took me back to school with students like Izbandut from the fifth grade, and the lesson on the drawbar brought me to my senses.”


Salih Sedat Ersöz, who stated that he started reading many books and poetry at that age because of his father, said he continued his fourth grade in Konya and read poetry during the April 23 ceremonies in the demolished old stadium. In the talk, which was held in the form of a presentation, Ersöz showed the photo of Ahmet Haki Efendi, one of the Mujahideen of Turkistan, and said: “Haki Efendi stayed at our house for two or three days. I had just started high school. He gave me oranges to eat in the summer. I ate and kissed her hand. It was the last time I saw him. I haven’t seen it again. He died in 1975. He was also Tahir Büyükkörükçü Hodja’s Persian teacher and was a great scholar. So it was a privilege to listen to him and kiss his hand.”



Ersöz claimed to have been ranked in the composition and poetry competitions he attended while attending high school, and recited his poem “Yüce Mevlana”, which he wrote in 1973 and was ranked in the Yeni Konya newspaper. Ersöz stated that he burned a notebook full of love poems, talked about his past memories and stated that after high school he worked at GIMA and on highways. Ersöz, who said that Necmettin Erbakan, who was an independent deputy candidate from Konya in the 69s, took him to all his speeches by his father Veyis, said: “In 1976 I met brother Mehmet Incili and joined their conversation. Brother Mehmet took us to Mehmed Zahid Kotku Hocaefendi in April 1977. We kissed hands and talked. We went to Sunday chats with Brother Mehmet every week without fail. This went on for five or six months,” he said.



Ersöz also said the following about his childhood: “My father was the provincial vice president and party spokesman for the National Rescue Party (MSP). It was early 1978. My father had me write the party manifesto that day. I wrote and read it aloud to Ali Güneri Abiye. He must have liked it, so he offered me a job at the newspaper. In Turkey, the newspaper Tomorrow was the media organ of the party. I didn’t feel like doing journalism in those years. Although it was something I had never done before, I accepted the offer because I would have a job. I started work the next day. When I started working for the newspaper, I also started writing. We also get in the mood for ourselves because we are writers. I graduated from Konya Education Institute in 1980. But I was not appointed until 1982 because of the revolution. My first assignment was in the Çınar District of Diyarbakır. I started working as a teacher in February ’82. When I entered the first class, the students told me; “Hodja, you’re not a bit of a fascist, are you!” they said. I have received many threats. My own students stoned me in the school yard. Despite all these events, I left my military service in February 1983 while doing my job as a teacher. Because of my husband’s situation, I prepared my application for employment and went to the military. I had no problems in the military. While doing my military service in Burdur, we went to the mosque, prayed and read our Quran. When I was in the army, I was assigned to the city of Güneybağ, in the Çumra district of Konya. I worked for two and a half years in Güneybağ, which is now the Güneysinder district. Then I worked for 11 years as Chief Blues and Biology teacher at Konya-Meram Secondary School. I kept writing in Hello. In school I published a magazine called Gonca. I was examined for my articles titled “Astronomy and Qur’anic Verses” published in the magazine.


After the 1995 general election, the Refahyol government was formed and within a month the provincial party chairman Mehmet Sözer told him: “We have made the decision. Recalling that he said he would make you the provincial director of culture, Ersöz said, “I said, ‘I know education, but I don’t know culture’. He said you learn by making rooms. I consulted with my father. He said that the given task cannot be refused. In 1996, we started working as the Provincial Cultural Director of Konya. We have done good deeds. Feyzi Halıcı Bey held the Lovers’ Day in the association. We made him an offer and started the first opening there. Eight years after my transfer to the municipality, I continued the Lovers’ Festival within the municipality and in the Theaterzaal as a jury member. We have started a reading campaign where we give a wristwatch to every student who brings three book summaries. We gifted watches to 2,500 students, and it became a topic and a resounding activity on national TVs. We founded the Konya Culture Research and Development Association. Our mission lasted 1 year. It was February 28. The Anasol-D government was established. The next day I received a fax that I had been fired. Signed by the Minister of Culture, Istemihan Talay, ‘Mr Sedat Ersöz, Provincial Director of Culture, you have been fired, please take the necessary measures.’ I went to the right governor Ziyaeddin Akbulut. I explained the task. Since I didn’t receive a fax to the governor’s office, he tore up the fax I had received. Continue your mission. There is no such dismissal. He said he will come to us and we will fire him. I remained in office for another three months, working for two months with the governor of February 28, Namık Günel. After that I started working as ‘Assistant Secretary General’ in Konya Metropolitan Municipality. We started Mevlana’s arrival in Konya with his family at the Directorate of Culture, but we held the representative welcome ceremony in the municipality live on horseback and thousands of people attended. We also signed prestigious books on Konya Culture and Mevlana.”


Poet-writer Salih Sedat Ersöz, who also included the events and memories he experienced in the talk at the Konya Provincial Public Library on February 28, thanked Konya Intellectuals Association President Dr. He thanked Mustafa Güçlü and the members of the board of directors. Dr. Mustafa Güçlü handed over the book “Veysel Öksüz and His Poems”, which was published by Selçuklu Municipality Publications, to the writer Salih Sedat Ersöz. The children and grandchildren of the Ersöz family also presented Ersöz with a bunch of flowers. Their poets sang the poems of Salih Sedat Ersöz. Cake and fruit juice were served to the participants.

Leave a Comment